Summer Screws 2023
The 9th IFToMM International Summer School on Screw Theory Based Methods in Robotics (Summer Screws 2023) will take place from June 18 to June 24, 2023, at Delft University of Technology in Delft, The Netherlands. Building on the successful editions in Beijing (2015), Montreal (2016), and Melbourne (2017), this event is designed to teach attendees how to apply existing screw-theory based methods and develop new ones in their own research.
The program will introduce basic theoretical notions in a rigorous manner, with a focus on examples, applications, and exercises. This summer school is suitable for Ph.D. students, post-docs, M.Sc. students, and academic staff, as well as participants from the industry who want to enhance their skills in this field.
- Basic vector-space properties of twists and wrenches: physical interpretation of the linear operations; linear dependence and independence, subspaces; bases and coordinates.
- Scalar products, dual spaces, reciprocity. Constraint and freedom in mechanisms. Constraint analysis. Type synthesis of single-loop mechanisms and parallel manipulators.
- Velocity and singularity analysis of parallel and interconnected-chain mechanisms. Derivation of input-output velocity equations and singularity conditions.
- Mappings between screw spaces, stiffness, and inertia. Structure of robot compliance. Eigenvalue problems and eigenscrews. Synthesis with springs.
- 6D formulation of the dynamics of individual rigid bodies and rigid-body systems. Equations of motion. Dynamics algorithms.
- Basic Lie group theory, matrix representations of the group of rigid-body displacements. Lie algebras as related to screw theory. The exponential map and its applications in modern robotics.